Monday, November 29, 2010

Update, With Disappointment, Anticipation, and a Tragic Photo.

Florida Hunting Zone C Doe Week:  A bust, as in not busting a cap, as in nothing.  Full moon, warm weather, prodigy doe with a 3G connection checking the FWC website, donno, the does were not present at John's hunting world the week of Thanksgiving.  I went up three times, John went every day (sometimes twice).  Hey, if it was easing, they'd call it finding and not hunting.  I still enjoyed every minute of it, with no complaints. 

I'm currently gearing up for my 5 days on Catalina.  Hiking and hunting.  My cousin George is going also, and Charlie is guiding the hunt (the FC pseudonym of earlier posts, which stands for fencing coach, of course).  Its the first time I've seen the island in winter, I'm looking forward to the day of rain that is forecast.  I doubt there will be any cooking or other updates until I get back, but afterward there should be pics and hopefully stories.

GRAPHIC PIC BELOW, btw.  

We spotted an interesting oddity on the way back from spending the holiday with my family in SC, a piebald deer.  My understanding is that this is the result of recessive genes.  Unfortunately, this one was already dead.  It may have been shot and abandoned, but it might have been roadkill.  I've never been more than average squeamish about dead critters so I apologize if anyone viewing this is, but I figure somebody might want to check it out.  I don't have the knowledge but I wish someone like Charlie had been there to skin it out and tan the hide.

1 comment:

  1. I'm new to hunting but share your renewed enthusiasm for the sport. I'll look forward to your escapades and recipes.

    --Jack
    Free Range Family

    ReplyDelete