Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sans Cervid.

I had high hopes for this morning.  John invited me back up for the opening day (yes, another one) of the short non-antlered season, or Doe Week as everyone called it.  On my other two visits I'd seen nice does, a couple of which would have almost been impossible to miss.  Alas, as the stockbrokers reluctantly inform us, past performance is no indication of future performance.

We heard a few deer talking to each other as we walked in just before 6 am.  When I turned on my amplifying headset after I slipped into the stand there was still a doe bleating somewhere behind me.  Its amazing how much they can occasionally sound like a soft little elk bugle when amped up.  

But that was it for deer activity.  The sun rose, the squirrels starting doing all their squirrel stuff, the cardinals were bouncing around, but nothing bigger appeared.  There is a full moon right now, I suspect they ate and socialized all night then bedded down for the day.  Not all though, we heard a few shots over the course of the morning.

Unconcerned with our failure.
 We called it quits about 9:30.  There were more pumpkin pancakes back at John's house and a PBR in my fridge at home.  Not a bad morning at all, but we won't be having fresh liver, onions, and bacon for dinner tonight.
Right before I left the stand, view unobstructed by deer.

4 comments:

  1. Good post. I found your blog through OBN. I will "follow" along =)

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The small critters are the one's who always frustrate me, the squirrels, and Blue Jays around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a really good acorn year here, so the squirrels are definitely getting fat, I am going to talk John into letting me take some home for perlow.

    ReplyDelete