Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Opening Day, And We Really Mean It This Time!

Like most places in the country, the term Opening Day isn't quite the big deal I imagine it must once have been.  Between public and private land, there have already been Opening Days for bow, crossbow, and muzzleloading season.  For many areas here, those methods of termination are now stacked, so with this new Opening Day for General Gun basically every legal means to kill a property-antlered native cervid is in play.

With almost accidental timing, a friend of mine has invited me to sit on a stand Saturday morning, the last Opening Day of the season (unless of course, you count the opening day of anterless deer season, but that's another story).  I feel no pressing urgency in this hunt, since we are only about half done with the Catalina doe and I'm likely coming back with another cooler of muley in December, but its kind of cool to think that for the first time in decades I'll be out in the field on Opening Day, waiting to see what wander up.  With some luck, maybe I will get to do that muley-whitetail culinary comparison I've wanted to try.

On other notes, I haven't really voiced it here but I've had a bit of prejudice about bow hunting.  Part of it was gut feeling, part due to the greater chance of wounding instead of killing the deer (I still idealistically aim to cause less suffering in my meat) and partly because aesthetically I think modern compound bows are about the ugliest things made by man (sorry, I just do).  I have been reconsidering this opinion though, as I know practice and preparation make all the difference and being skilled with a bow would open up a couple hunting opportunities in places I have access to but can't use a firearm in.

Fortunately, I have a good friend who is a very accomplished woodworker for his age who has a well-equipped workshop and connections to get about any kind of wood he wants.  After looking at some beautiful recurved bows online, I sent out some feelers about his desire to become a bowyer.  He replied that he'd often thought about it and felt sure he could make one, he has all the basic skills down.  So, with plenty of time to work on it before next season, in a couple of weeks are going to set to bowmaking and see what can be done, you'll be seeing pics.

I do a lot more in the woods than hunt (Contrary to the subject of this blog, I actually do just about everything more often in the woods than hunt) and I think that may be reflecting a lot more in my posts here.   I've been doing a lot of hiking lately for the Florida State Forest Trailwalker Program (I've almost achieved their rank of "Trailmaster" now).  Here are a few pics I took recently on a 13 mile day hike in the Green Swamp area:

Richloam Tract, Withlacoochee State Forest.  Prime Skunk Ape habitat!

Withlacoocheee River

Limestone outcrops in the Withlacoochee river.  Believe it or not, this would be a cool little rapid at higher water.

No comments:

Post a Comment