Thursday, September 16, 2010

Corny, kinda

Over at Hunter Angler Gardener Cook a fellow Catalina hunter has a lot of delicious-sounding recipes for the meat of the deer.  One that intrigues me is home-made corned venison.  Unfortunately I was delayed in the production by the lack of "pink salt", aka salt with nitrite for preservation purposes, but a quick stop by a major big-box outdoors store in Ocala on the way home from Orlando yesterday fixed that.  Besides pink and kosher salt, the brine has quite a few other spices, including caraway seeds and a cinnamon stick.  It smelled awesome as it came to a simmer.

The brine preparing to simmer with a boatload of herbs and spices
After it cooled to room temperature I immersed in it a "middle" ham (as I call it, as differed from the grand and petite hams sensu FC) that I had semi-carefully removed all the silverskin and slimy bits from.  I used a heavy saucer to hold the meat down so that there is no air contact.  It is said to take about a week to cure, so I'll get back to you on it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment