Thursday, September 23, 2010

Corned Venison: One Week Later

Yesterday after work I pulled the middle ham that I had set to corn last week out of the fridge, it still smelled awesome from all the herbs and spices included in the recipe.  The feel of the meat had definitely changed into a much firmer texture.  It had also become a beautiful dark burgundy color.  Sorry i didn't take a pic of it, I was in a hurry to get it in the pot as I anticipated a cooking time of about three hours.  I went ahead and rinsed the meat off and put it in just enough fresh water to cover it, then put it over a low flame.  It soon started to smell really nice as the brine cooked out of it.


It actually worked
As advertised, it did indeed have the color, texture, and (lo and behold) flavor that corned venison should, super tasty.  It was of a saltiness that encouraged eating it in small bites, very good this once but probably not something you'd want to consume every day.  If I make this again I'll probably change the cooking water once or twice to draw more of the brine fluid out.

Leftovers made a great Ruben for lunch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment