Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Backstrappyness Part Deux

I decided that another loin portion would be the thing for Monday night.  I am either getting better at slicing off silverskin or it was just an easier cut to deal with, either way it looked awesome.  I went with a marinade this time, I didn't even try to record the quantities but it was a mix of white wine, red wine, garlic, chopped onion, lemon juice, caraway seeds, fresh chopped basil, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, kosher salt, and olive oil (pretty much what was handy).  I let that steep overnight then treated it to a nice glowing bed of natural charcoal.

It occurred to me I have forgotten how to start charcoal any other way.

Loin beginning to sear.
I seared the sides then cooked it indirectly with the lid on for about 14 minutes, it came out perfectly medium.  The marinade definitely imparted a bit of an edge to the taste, I'd try it again on another piece of venison or maybe even pork.  We just had microwaved baking potatoes as a side, I was feeling lazy. 

Next planned even is a crock-pot of grande ham for tomorrow night, I'll let you know how that goes of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment