Monday, March 14, 2011

Sausage. Long overdue.

Haven't posted anything in a long while, I realized.  I was by myself for a month while the man went to visit his family in the old country, and I quit cooking anything too grandiose after a while.  However, I did make a feeble attempt at creating venison sausage, so here is my long overdue report on that endeavor. 

I started with this bowl of cubed deer meat and fat.  I wanted to used raw pork fat, but I was too late in the day to get any from the local grocery stores, so I settled for fatback instead.  The venison was scraps of shoulder and some flank steak, basically what I salvaged from around the bloodshot impact point on Queen Mother.  I found an old hand-cranked grinder at a thrift shop for $7, it worked fairly well at producing the minced meat.

I added in a lot of herbs, dried basil, rosemary, paprika, etc.  and squished it together.
Here is the main pile divvied up, the closest one doesn't have herbs in it because I was making it into maple sausage.  The other two are hot and mild Italian-like sausage.  
Sausage bagged up for storage.
Breakfast for One.

No comments:

Post a Comment