Thursday, October 27, 2011

Smoke Pole Season in Goethe - Monday: Humanworld

What happens when an adult male human, accomplished dayhiker and backpacker, recipient of the designation of Trailmaster from the Florida State Forest Service, who has logged hundreds of hours and several hundred miles on trails in Florida, sets off in the dark to find a stand he's been to three previous times with his GPS off?  He gets lost.  Well...he gets "turned around'.  Before I finally gave up and turned the gadget on I had turned a 20 minute trip into an almost hour-long ordeal.  Sometimes pride makes us do stupid things...

Anyhow, I made it to the stand annoyingly late, feeling like the rank amateur that I am.  It was barely 10 minutes before sunrise, I hadn't needed my headlamp for a while.  The trek was still a great experience however.  While I was wandering around confused in the dusk I listened to a few coyotes howling off in the distance.  For another instant I was terrified by the sudden explosion of turkeys from their roost above me, probably the same flock that I'd watch amble by the day before.

I climbed up and settled down in the morning chill to wait.  I could occasionally hear some movement off in the distance to my left.  I had heard a lot of armadillos closer to the truck, and it was likely that's what was moving.  I blew a few calls out in that direction just in case.  Most of the morning was quiet however, except for a few busy squirrels.  Its amazing how much noise one little tree rat can make, but wild squirrels are always cool to watch.

Around 9:30 I heard some soft footsteps approaching in front of me.  I soon caught movement, and saw a doe approaching.  A yearling appeared, trailing behind.  The two were in no hurry, calmly picking their way across the pine-needle carpet.  The yearling snagged a leaf now and then, perhaps still testing what was edible.  The doe crossed my trail and got a little more alert, not scared but cautious.

The two paused for about a full minute about 25 yards ahead.  At one point the doe's body was broadside to me, but with its head concealed behind a pine.  A perfect shot.  What an incredible temptation!  It was as if the Goddess Diana was testing my worth as an ethical hunter.

I reflected that the whole three-day experience was a test.   First I resisted the temptation to take a too-fast shot at a legal buck, then a shot at flock of illegal turkeys, now a shot at an illegal deer that in addition still had a young one attached to her.  I think by any measure I passed those tests, and even though I have no meat to show for it I have the satisfaction that I made the right choices.

The doe and yearling calmly turned and slowly worked their way back as they had come.

I remained in the stand another hour and a half, then decided it was time to call it a hunt.  I collected my gear then pulled down the tree stand and transformed it into its backpack mode, but not before I posed for a self-portrait as a memento.



My last duty was to discharge the rifle that had been loaded since Friday (although with no firing cap when it was in transport).  Although I was loathe to disturb the morning's peace, I would not have another opportunity soon.  I picked the cat-face of an old turpentine stump about 30 yards away as a target and using a small tree to steady myself I let fire.  Note to self: don't fire a muzzleloader upwind.  When I cleared my throat of the acrid smoke I saw the round went a little low and to the left, not sure if it was me or the gun.  It was still within the zone of a boiler-room shot on a whitetail though.


Guess you could say it did end with a bang, at any rate.

I drove back home with a sense of melancholy, but very happy and grateful to have had the awesome experience.  I had a rare lunchtime beer as I cleaned my rifle in my kitchen, then headed to work for the rest of the afternoon (reports need to go out, you know).

A man I know who hunts with a primitive bow and arrow in Goethe for both archery and small game season says I was very lucky to see as many deer as I did.  I have plans to head back over myself for small game season, feral hogs of any kind as well as squirrels are legal at that time. 

I should be hunting back at 40 Acre Pines Friday and Saturday, most likely using the muzzleloader.  However, I do think that once I finally get one (if that happens) and the mental pressure to restock my freezer is off  I may go back to archery for the rest of the season. 

OK, enough for now.  Two new recipe posts coming soon, and I have an idea for another.

No comments:

Post a Comment