Monday, October 18, 2010

Venison Stroganoff (heh heh heh, you said stroganoff)

Sorry for the long hiatus, we got a little venisoned out and took a detour with other meatstuffs for a couple weeks.  I actually had a beef steak the other night, the first one that I've cooked since I shot this doe back in August.

The dish for the day is Venison Stroganoff (The pervy 14 yr old in me really wants to slip a masturbation joke in somewhere but the 39 yr old adult is threatening to pop him one if he does.  Oops, too late, look at the title!).  Since don't think I've ever had Stroganoff except for out of a box with an anthropomorphized cooking mitt on it, I was looking forward to it.  I chose the two eye of round sections that FC had deftly slipped from the doe's haunches weeks ago.  The recipe is very easy.  I sliced the eyes of round into about half-inch thick sections and sprinkled them with salt and black pepper.  I sauteed them in olive oil until golden.

About half done
I removed the meat to a bowl while I sauteed some mushrooms and onions in the remaining oil and some butter.  I also put the egg noodles on to cook as well.

Dirty stove is dirty.
After the mushrooms and onions had gotten to a nice point I stirred in a small can of beef consume, about 5-6 ounces of sour cream, and a good squirt of spicy mustard.  I let that all come to a simmer while I took the egg noodles off and drained them.  Mix everything all together in the pan, and call 'em to dinner.  As Paula would say "Yummy, Y'all!"

I was about a third through with my plate when the hubby reminded me I needed a pic of the blog.  So here is my less-than-artfully rearranged plate in front of part of my trophy wall of refrigerator magnets.  I've gotten one from every significant place I've gone for the last few years now.

Catalina is along the top row, second from right.
In other news, plans are finalizing for a second hunting trip to Catalina this year, my cousin George is very keen on going, and I have one more deer tag to fill (I saved it on purpose, because I was fairly sure George and I would return).  I'm bringing my own rifle out this time, which is a story for a near-future update.

4 comments:

  1. I'll be headed back to Catalina, too. Nov. 15 I think. When are you headed back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took me a while to see this comment, my email alerts don't seem to be on. I'll be over from the 4th to 10th of Dec, recently got tickets. I've got one more tag and my cousin is probably getting both of his too. I'm really looking forward to just being there, this is my 4th visit and I do love the place. I'm looking forward to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bricky! Just ate the eye of round ourselves this week, my new favorite cut. Lots of yummy fat. Would have never know if not for the new tricks HAGC taught FC :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMK what y'all did with it, I'm out of that cut for now but maybe that won't last too long.

    ReplyDelete